Sunday, April 09, 2006

My Otto Link New York Tenor piece

Here's a shot of my trusty 1950's Otto Link New York made Tone Master - 4* tip. These are very different from the later 'Florida' model - shorter shank, slightly different chamber and baffle, thicker rails and most important, the bell metal is different - how, I couldn't say, but it has a different feel and tonal character.

This piece takes some getting used to, particularly coming to it from a more modern piece, it can feel stuffy and closed down, but once the embrochure and diaphram adapt, it is a mellow, rounded, versatile player with a very centered tone. Lots of partial, loads of subtones.

But it ain't no screamer, and projection it don't have - no power and no guts. If a player needs to cut through, this one won't do it, and as an ensemble player, an electrified one or high octane one - it probably won't do. In a small band setting - sheer magic. Sweet!!!

1 Comments:

At 5:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sigh* Your blog reminds me of my marching band days. I use to hate our saxophone players though.

I was a french horn player, it was part of the code back then. War agaist the woodwinds!

Kidding!

Actually it was the choir we hated :P

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home